September 4, 2008

Cancer is the Devil!

Cancer and I have a hate/hate relationship. Obviously no one likes cancer, but I really, really hate this disease in all of its ugly forms. A little personal history: I lost my mother (breast cancer), my father (Adenocarcinoma) and my 3 year old daughter (Rhabdomyosarcoma) just to name a few. To say that cancer scares me to death is an understatement. I know many people survive the disease and ensuing treatment, and research is providing more answers every year. Unfortunately those closest to me were not so lucky.

When my daughter was diagnosed with cancer I was completely devastated. I still had her twin sister and my younger daughter at home to care for while she was spending 90% of her time in the hospital for surgery, treatment and complications of the two. I was exhausted and an emotional wreck. She was diagnosed in late September and died one month later. I felt like I couldn't breathe for at least a year. If not for my other children and my family rallying around me I doubt I would be here today. I lived in fear for years that her identical twin would get the disease too. Her doctors did not have enough information to assure me that would not happen. This was many years ago but the emotional wounds are still deep and painful.

I have tried over the years to help where I can both financially and by donating my time to the cause. Each year we promote our Think Pink Spa Pack and donate 50% of the profits to the Susan G. Komen Organization. We support the Relay for Life program and donate regularly to the Children's Cancer Foundation. I would do anything in my power to help find the cure and make sure no one has to go through the pain I and countless others have experienced. There are many worthy organizations working hard to develop tolerable treatment and ultimately a cure. Please make time and dig deep to help them meet their goals.

No comments: