January 5, 2009

No More Resolutions!

I officially resolve not to resolve this year. It's just too depressing when I make a resolution and then don't stick to it. I thought about it, really I did, but I just don't want to make promises I can't keep, even if they're only to myself. Maybe I could resolve to take life as it comes with just a bit of pre-planning of course. I should take it easy on myself for a while. I'm kind of burned out trying to be everything to everyone last year. Martha Stewart can rest assured that she is still the queen in that department.

If you're going to make a resolution try to make it something that you might at least attempt to accomplish. How about resolving to have ice cream or one small piece of amazing chocolate at least once a month? Grant yourself the indulgence of a spa day whether it is at a facility or in your own home. At least treat yourself to a pedi-mani and lunch with a girlfriend every now and then. How about a shopping trip and you can only buy things for yourself no matter how cute that sweater would look on your daughter. Yes, I speak from experience!

We women are much too hard on ourselves. We strive to be experts in child guidance, transportation, culinary arts, home decorating, garden design and domestic engineering but when it comes to giving yourself permission to take a nap, read a book or relax in the tub (God forbid!) we lose all focus. I say in 2009 we - you and me - decide that we deserve to relax and enjoy our lives. Easier said than done I know. If you can make resolutions to lose weight, get out and exercise, organize your files or quit smoking surely we could make the time to follow up on a few enjoyable resolutions. Happy New Year!

No comments: