October 28, 2009

What is Your Aromatherapy?

Aromatherapy by definition is the use of fragrances to affect or alter a person's mood or behavior. You likely experience it all the time without even being aware of it. For instance when I open the bag of coffee beans in the morning and sniff the exhilarating aroma of rich roasted coffee it actually makes me feel more energized even before my first cup. The intoxicating scent of fresh gardenias gives me a feeling of peace, as does the smell of rain.

Aromatherapists use essential oils of flowers, herbs and other botanicals to help heal and nurture their clients physically and spiritually. Lavender and vanilla are a psyche soothing combination while grapefruit and peppermint energize and rejuvenate. Clary sage helps to reduce stress and Pine Needle may bring a sense of well being, which explains why Christmas trees make me feel so good - or is it the presents 'neath the tree?

While essential oils are used by practitioners it is my opinion that all scents, smells, aromas, whatever you want to call them, can stimulate a response. Whether they bring back memories of places, people or time or give you a certain emotional or physical feeling, they do have an affect on us. The smell of pumpkin pie makes me feel cozy and comforted because it reminds me of holidays with family back home. Now for some that might induce a stressful feeling but thankfully it's a good one for me.

Do you surround yourself with fresh flowers? Have scent diffusers or candles burning? Revel in the grocery fruit aisle? What is your aromatherapy?

1 comment:

Private Label Skincare said...

I absolutely love Jasmine (Jasminum grandiflorium) & Rose (Rosa centifolia) together. Although both insanely expensive oils, they leave me inspired, energized and confident!