April 9, 2008

Heaven in a Bag

I went to Whole Foods today (better known as Harry's Farmer's Market around here). I love that place! Being a weekday before lunch hour it was quiet and I could roam around and sample fruits, cheeses and other assorted yummies set up in the aisles. I picked up a brie cheese and smoked turkey panini with fresh basil and tomatoes and a delightful organic mango smoothie by Naked Juice Company for my lunch. Can you hear me sighing with delight?

As I searched for some organic fruits and berries for photo work today I found the most amazing thing ever! I love dried goji berries. I order mine from an organic grower in Tibet to help support their co-op, and also because no one was carrying them locally at that time. They carry several kinds at Harry's now and it's always a good idea to have a back-up source. As I was browsing the shelves of exotic ingredients I spied a bag on the bottom shelf that looked intriguing. Egad! Organic goji berries covered in dark chocolate by Himalania. They were $5.99 for a 6 oz bag; pricey, but I had to try these.

If you've never eaten goji berries, they taste like a cross between dates and dried cranberries. Not too sweet with a slightly tart aftertaste. Goji berries
(also referred to as Wolfberry) are one of the newly acclaimed "super fruits" and have been cultivated high in the Himalayas for centuries. I initially tried them to see what all the fuss was about and now eat them because I really like them. So I figured goji berries covered in deep dark chocolate would have to be good, right? I can't tell you how good (mostly because I'm currently stuffing them into my mouth). The dark chocolate adds a whole new level to the flavor. Plus it's ... well... chocolate! Of course chocolate has its own antioxidant health claims to boast these days, but I always knew it was a super-food. No really, I did!

If you get a chance to try these I heartily recommend them. I wonder what these would taste like sprinkled on top of this freshly made gelato I picked up at Harry's?

No comments: