December 19, 2008

The Cheerleader's Guide to Life or How to Motivate Yourself

It seems I spend a lot of time being a cheerleader. I was a cheerleader in high school, pom-poms and saddle shoes, the whole nine yards. I have a whole slew of motivational tidbits stored up in my brain. I've cheered my children on to help them attain excellence in sports, academics and reaching personal goals. I've pep-talked my siblings, rah-rahed co-workers and generally uplifted the spirits of those around me for years. It doesn't always work but I sure give it the old college try.

So why does this technique not work so well on me? I think it might be because I know the drill. If anyone tries to give me the old one-for-the-Gipper speech I just roll my eyes. I know a cheer when I hear one. In fact, I hear them rolling around in my head in the morning when I wake up, "Get up! Get moving!" When things are crazy and I'm running around in circles it's, "You can do it! You can do it! You can! You can!" No more pom-poms or back flips, but it's still the same idea.

I plan to work on ways to self-motivate this coming year. I want to employ techniques that will help me stay inspired, stay on task and generally moving forward in both my business and personal lives. There are so many things I want to accomplish and seemingly so little time to do it that keeping up my energy and focus is going to be a major priority. I believe that setting attainable goals will be key to my success.

I will promote my business. I will resume my exercise routine and I will write that book one blog post at a time as a mentor suggested. Go Team!!

No comments: