I freely admit that I'm a chocoholic and it is my humble opinion that really good hot chocolate does not come in a pouch you add boiling water to. No, my friends, you must work for really great things and rich, decadent hot chocolate is one of them. You can go to Williams-Sonoma and purchase their shaved hot chocolate but I prefer to make my own mix and keep it sealed in a canister or Tupperware for use at my leisure, not to mention I can tweak it to my personal preference.
Easy Shaved Hot Chocolate Recipe:
Chocolate, any kind, any flavor but keep in mind the finer the chocolate the better the brew.
Using a food processor or sharp knife, chop the chocolate course bits. You want it to be small enough to melt quickly in hot milk. Store chocolate shavings away from heat in a sealed Ziplock, airtight Tupperware or sealed food-safe cello bag inside of a decorative tin and use within 2-3 months. Trust me the use-by-date won't be a problem!
- Milk, whole is preferable but you can substitute 2% if you must.
- Unsalted Butter, optional but amazing
- Flavoring of choice
- Flavored chocolate such as peppermint, white chocolate, dark, semi-sweet or milk chocolate bars.
- Want an Aztec experience made easy? Try the Dagoba Xocolatl Bar with chilies and cocoa nibs, or add a touch of chili powder (just a touch!) to your cup.
- Add a dash (or more) of Grand Marnier, Peppermint Schnapps, Kahlua, Godiva or Baily's Irish Cream and top with whipped cream.
- Add any variety of flavor extracts or drink syrups available at your local gourmet market. You only need a touch as they are concentrated. Imagine butterscotch hot chocolate with french vanilla whipped cream drizzled with butterscotch sauce. Mmmm!
- Garnish with mini chocolate morsels, chocolate curls, colored candy sprinkles or crushed peppermint candies. Rim the edge of the cup a la martini style with colored sugars or edible glitter.
- Add a swizzle stick. Candy canes, cinnamon sticks or make your own chocolate stirrers with plastic spoons dipped in chocolate.
- For the young or young-at-heart Gingerbread Boy S'Mores from William-Sonoma (LOVE this place!)
- Handmade Marshmallows? Yes!! Melt in your mouth or your cocoa, these blocks of deliciousness will forever change your views on marshmallows in a bag: 2 Sisters Cookie Bakery
- Create a basket of heavenly delights including your homemade cocoa mix, a large mug, a selection of small bottles of liqueur, decadent chocolates or fancy cookies and a box of handmade marshmallows (yes, Virginia, you can make your own).